If you perform intense mental work many hours a day, or if you work long hours on the computer, it can cause an imbalance in praana vaata, the mind-body factor concerned with brain activity, energy and the mind.
The first symptom of praana vaata imbalance is losing the ability to handle stress. As you become more stressed, it alters mental functions such as dhi, dhriti, and smriti, or acquisition, retention, to think positively, to feel keen, and even to fall asleep at night.
To treat mental stress, you begin by managing mental activity. If tension is the aggravating factor and if you want to manage it, you need to modify your diet and lifestyle accordingly. Secondly, you can take measures to pacify praana vaata.
- Consume vata pacifying food which have sweet, sour and salty taste and avoid cold food and drinks, spicy, deep fried food.
- Avoid suppression of natural urges, night outs.
According to Ayurveda, herbs like brahmi, shakhapushpi, ashwagandha, mandukaparni, vacha, etc are considered beneficial to improve cognitive functions.
These herbs also help to eliminate stress and other psychological issues. These are considered nervine tonics.
Hence, I would recommend you to take herbal medicines to control stress levels, which will eventually result in a healthy mind, giving you sound sleep.
- Bacopa and memocare capsule ,1 capsule twice daily,after food.
- Stress support capsule, 1 capsule at night,after food.
- Sumenta,1 tablet,twice daily.
- Ksheera bala oil for massage. Massaging the body regularly with oil, before taking bath is very effective in warding off stress.
You may also try the following home remedies for beneficial results:
- Soak 5 to 10 almonds in water overnight.The next morning, peel the skin and grind the almonds. Boil this paste with one glass of milk, add some sugar or honey for taste and drink it daily for 30 or 40 days.
- Mix a little honey in one-half teaspoon of ground black seeds(Nigella sativa). Eat it twice daily for at least a few weeks.
- Amla juice should be consumed regularly.
- Drinking tea made up of sage leaves with honey can immediately provide relief from stress.
- Including more sprouts which are rich in calcium in your diet can also prove beneficial in reducing stress.
- Perform pranayama or breathing exercises on a daily basis to ward of stress and to improve cognitive functions.
- You need to practise yoga, pranayama and meditation also which will give you beneficial results:
You may also refer to the following blog articles, which mentions about ways to combat stress.
To get more info, and to buy, some of the ayurvedic products mentioned in this article, please click on links below: