Coughing is a protective reflex but continuous coughing can be pestering and painful. A cough is often triggered due to mucus that runs down the throat. Here are some simple home remedies for wet cough.
What to do when you have a bad cough?
- At night, take a glass of hot milk mixed with 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- Drink warm onion soup with a pinch of pepper powder and ginger.
- Take 1/2tsp each of tulsi juice and honey with yashtimadhu powder for an allergic cough.
- Take 2 tsp of the juice of betel leaves with 1 tsp of honey 30 minutes after each meal.
Simple Home Remedies for wet cough
- Grapes tone up the lungs and act as an expectorant, a cup of grape juice mixed with a tsp of honey is advised for cough relief
- 1 tsp of raw onion juice mixed with 1 tsp of honey, kept for a few hours, should be taken twice daily to relieve wet cough.
- Heat karpooradi thailam, mix with salt and apply it to the chest, throat, and face. Massage for 10 minutes and then Steam should be taken with hot water. Doing this procedure regularly cures phlegm of the chest and throat.
- A medium sized onion crushed, juice of 1 lemon added to it, and then 1 cup boiling water poured on it, along with 1 tsp of honey.This remedy should be taken twice daily.
- Belleric myrobalan powder 2grams, mixed with 1/4 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of long pepper and 2 tsp of honey, should be taken twice daily.
- Aniseed is another effective remedy for hard dry cough as it breaks up the mucus. A tea made from this spice should be taken regularly.
- Take 1 tbsp of lemon juice and add half tsp of black pepper powder and salt each.Mix well and heat the mixture till it becomes lukewarm. Consume this mixture once daily.
- In a glass of hot water, add half tsp of black pepper powder and cinnamon powder each. Add 1 tsp of salt, allow it to rest till it turns lukewarm. Gargle with this decoction for beneficial results.
- Ginger in combination with tulsi is also an effective remedy for a cough. Crush about 10 leaves of Tulsi, mix with juice extracted from a small ginger piece. Add an equal quantity of honey and mix. Take 1 tsp of this twice daily for beneficial results.
- Slightly crush about 4 cloves of peeled garlic and saute in a tsp of ghee. Consume this daily to get relief from a cough.
- Boil a few corns of pepper in water for 20 minutes. Mix a little cumin and jaggery and drink.A quarter part of an onion mixed with jaggery can be chewed daily, to expel the sputum.
- Chewing on licorice root and sucking on it clears the mucus off the throat.
- Chewing basil leaves or making a tea out of basil leaves, ginger root and honey and taking it once or twice a day cures congestion from the chest.
- Gargling with warm water mixed with salt soothes the throat and makes the mucus thin.
Click here to know more about Ayurvedic treatment for cough
- Relieves chronic cough,sinusitis, asthma and allergic bronchitis
- Fights infection
- Boosts respiratory health
One-two tablespoons to be taken with milk or warm water, twice a day.
Not suitable for Diabetic patients. Or as directed by the physician.
All the above things are answering and addressing your main question on what to do when you have a bad cough and these home remedies for wet cough will help you get rid of them in a very effective manner . If you are looking for Ayurvedic medicines for the treatment of cough/upper respiratory tract infection, apart from the home remedies for wet cough, I would recommend the following formulations:
The first line of treatment in Ayurveda for cough when it is associated with phlegm is to remove the accumulation of phlegm. Ayurvedic medicine for cough with phlegm is Dasamoolakaduthrayam kashayam.