Aging is the natural process of getting older. It happens in everyone’s life. You may notice that in your skin, hair and teeth, but aging is common to your internal organs like heart, kidneys, brain, etc., and decrease its functioning ability like weak digestion, insomnia, etc. It can also affect your mental and sexual health.
Prevalence of Diabetes, Cardiovascular disease, cancer and degenerative diseases like Alzheimer's, Parkinson’s and dementia are common in old age.
Precautions to be taken as you grow older
- Eat a healthy diet rich in antioxidants and fibre to prevent constipation. Include more fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Take adequate calcium and vitamin D rich foods like milk, fish, eggs, sesame seeds, almonds, etc to prevent osteoporosis.
- Drink sufficient amount of fluids.
- Make physical exercise like walking as your daily routine.
- Take adequate rest. Make sure to sleep at least 7 hours at night and a short nap in the afternoon.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol and carbonated beverage consumption.
- Do Kegel exercise regularly to control urinary incontinence.
- Keep yourself mentally active by reading, playing simple games and start new hobbies of your choice like petting, gardening, learning music or any musical instrument.
- Socialize with your family and friends well to prevent depression and other emotional disturbance.
- Undergo regular check-ups for your blood pressure, sugar levels, cholesterol levels and eyesight.
- Brush your teeth twice daily and massage your gums well.
- Your skin tends to become dry as you age. Do regular oil massage with Ksheerabala taila. Bath in warm water and avoid hot water. Apply Aloe Vera lotion
- To strengthen your bones, joints and to reduce pain, do massage with Mahanarayana taila.
- Manage your stress by yoga, meditation and pranayama.
- As you age your sexual ability also declines. Accept it. If you have any issues, speak with your partner and seek medical guidance.
Ayurvedic Formulations to Help Maintain Good Health
- To improve your digestion you can take Trikatu churna, Agnitundi vati or Hingvastaka churna.
- To prevent constipation you can take Avipattikar churna or Triphala churna.
- For bones health you can take AZ cal, Bonton granules, Kukkutanda twak bhasma.
- To prevent cardiovascular disease and decrease cholesterol levels you can take Dashamoola, Arjuna, Guggulu, Lo-medus and Medhohara capsules.
- To improve your sleep and mental health you can take Ashwagandha, Jatamansi, Manasamitra vati, AZ calm, etc.
- Do regular foot massage and apply Brahmi taila or Bhringamalakadi taila on your crown to induce sleep and soothe your mind.
- To overcome urinary tract issues you can take Gokshura, Punarnava, Chandraprabha Vati.
- As a rejuvenation and to delay ageing you can take Ashwagandha rasayana, Amalaki, Amalaki rasayana, Chyawanprash
- To improve complexion and to prevent pigmentation, wrinkles, you can do regular massage with Kumkumadi taila. Do face pack with egg white or almond paste.
You can also undergo Ayurvedic therapies like Abhyanga, Shirodhara, Basti and rasayana therapies.
Even though you cannot stop ageing, definitely you can prevent ill effects of ageing by adopting a healthy lifestyle.