The following detoxification is for those who haven’t tried any digestive cleanse before. This entire detoxification takes about two to three weeks.
1. Activated Charcoal: This is used to bind toxins in the intestine along with unhealthy microbes and pass them with stool. Advised dosage constitutes of five hundred mg of activated charcoal 3 times everyday, one hour before eating your meal.
2. Bentonite Clay: This is a good substitute for activated charcoal incase it is unavailable. This is an edible clay which acts as laxative. It helps in removing pesticides. Advised dosage constitutes of one tbsp of bentonite syrup two to three times everyday an hour before eating your meal.
3. Psyllium: This is a dietary fiber that aids the bowel movement. It cleans the intestinal mucous walls. One tbsp of powdered psyllium should be taken 3 times in a day. Mix one tbsp in a glass of water and have it right away. You can add activated charcoal/bentonite clay in the water after mixing psyllium in it.
4. Probiotics: Probiotics helps in maintaining a healthy balance between the good and the bad bacteria. Several foods are probiotic in nature. To know more about them you can read a previous article on probiotics. However, Probiotic supplements are also easily available in capsule and liquid form. You can take either one capsule three times in a day or small probiotics drink about two times in a day. Continue taking probiotics supplements for couple of weeks after your detoxification is over. Check for Lactobacillus acidophilus as well as Bifidobacterium bifidum strains before buying the supplement, and always refrigerate it.
5. Dietary Suggestions
(a) Fruits: Fresh and not canned
(b) Veggies: Include lots of fresh broccoli, sprouts, garlic, beet, cauliflower, onions, artichokes and red and green colored veggies.
(c) Rice: Brown rice is easy to digest. You can also eat basmati rice.
(d) Amaranth, Millet and Buckwheat: may be used in place of rice.
(e) Beans: Split yellow beans, lentils or green peas are easily digested. You can also have kidney beans, golden gram, pinto bean, chickpeas and aduki bean.
(f) Nuts/seeds: linseeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds and cashew nut. They should be unsalted. Stay away from peanuts.
(g) Fish: Boiled, baked or steamed in limited quantity.
(h) Olive Oil
(i) Herbal Tea: Any caffeine free herbal tea.
(j) Water: lots of water
(k) Seasonings: Sea salt, natural soured soy sauce, vinegar, little honey
(l) Fresh juice and Rice Milk
(a) Refined sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup and artificial sweeteners.
(b) Dairy foods: no milk, butter or eggs
(c) Wheat or wheat products
(d) Corn products and yeast
(e) Caffeinated drinks and alcoholic drinks
(f) Red meat
(g) Food with preservatives
(h) Chocolates and fat loaded foods
6. Vegetable Broth: two cups are good for tissue cleaning.
7. Liquids: Water and fluids are essential with psyllium, bentonite as well as activated charcoal intake. About ten glasses everyday.
8. Hot and cold shower: Alternating between hot and cold water while taking shower aids detoxification. Begin by taking your bath with hot water for three minutes and then with cold water for about one minute. Repeat this twice and end with a round of cold water.
This detoxification process should continue for two to three weeks. At the end of of the process your body will feel renewed and rejuvenated.