Typhoid is an enteric fever, caused by Salmonella typhi bacteria. Typhoid is one among the major public health problems in India. In 1994, about 2,78,451 typhoid cases and 304 deaths were reported. The fatality rate is varying 1.1%- 2.5% in last few years.
Causes of Typhoid
- Drinking water contaminated by sewage water.
- Eating roadside contaminated foods.
- Being in close contact with infected person.
- Travelling in typhoid prevalent endemic area.
Symptoms of Typhoid
- High fever.
- Tiredness and weakness.
- Pain and discomfort in the abdomen.
- Diarrhoea and constipation.
- Decreased appetite.
- Muscular pain and generalized body pain.
- Untreated typhoid may cause intestinal perforation, a life-threatening condition.
- Sometimes there may be inflammation of heart, lungs, brain and other internal organs.
Management of Typhoid
- You can take fresh juice extract of tulsi leaves about ½ tsp with little honey twice daily.
- Diet is very important in an enteric fever like typhoid. Avoid spicy, fried and fatty foods.
- Avoid oil, ghee, butter and other fats.
- Avoid green chillies in cooking and use black pepper instead.
- Eat bland and semi-solid foods like barley water, porridge, rice gruel, soups, kichadi or softly cooked rice with dal.
- Avoid raw vegetables and fruits which are more fibrous. Drink fresh juice of pomegranate and mousambi.
- Avoid dairy products, alcohol, carbonated beverages, coffee and tea.
- Drink sufficient amount of boiled water processed with Shandangadi churna or musta and dry ginger powder.
- Do cold compress with a towel to reduce your body temperature.
- After 2 weeks, you can slowly start taking solid foods, dairy products, egg, meat soup, etc.
- Prevent the spread of infection to others by avoiding cooking, serving food, washing hands well with soap solution after visiting the toilet, wash the utensils, towels, bed spread, etc well.
Ayurvedic Medicines for Typhoid
In Ayurveda the following medicines are beneficial:
- Decoction of Bhunimba
- Sudarshana churna
- Amruta satva
- Maha sudarshan vati,
- Sanjeevani vati,
- Guluchyadi Kashayam