Gastroenteritis is an inflammatory condition of your alimentary canal, specifically stomach and intestine. It is commonly known as Stomach flu.
Causes of Stomach Flu
- Bacteria (E.coli, Salmonella) and viruses(rotavirus, norovirus) are the cause of gastroenteritis. These organisms enter you body through contaminated food and water, uncooked meat or seafoods.
- Person with weak immunity and following poor hygiene like sharing utensils of infected person, improper hand washing after visiting toilet are commonly affected.
Symptoms of Stomach Flu
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Abdominal cramps.
- Loose watery stools.
- Mild rise in your body temperature.
- Feeling dizzy.
- Muscular pains.
Dos and Don’ts
- Drink buttermilk (chaas) to replenish your body fluid.
- Take bedrest.
- Avoid solid/heavy / complex foods.
- Eat light and easily digestible foods like gruel/ soup/ softly cooked rice. You can add pepper and cumin to improve your digestion.
- Don’t take anti diarrhoeal or anti emetic medicines immediately. Few bouts will help to clear the microorganisms from your digestive system.
- Avoid dairy and caffeine products.
- Take fluids in small and frequent sips. Avoid taking large quantity at a time. It may trigger vomiting or diarrhoea again.
- You can boil musta, coriander seeds and dry ginger powder in drinking water and sip it frequently.
- You can chew jeera and dry ginger powder with pinch of salt to prevent nausea and improve your digestion.
- Drink pomegranate juice with elachi and sugar candy to reduce vomiting.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Stomach Flu
The following Ayurvedic medicines are beneficial in the treatment of stomach flu.
- Vilwadi gulika
- Dadimashtaka churna
- Ushiradi kashayam
Prevention of Stomach Flu
- Avoid sharing others’ utensils, towels, etc.
- Wash your hands well before having food.
- Avoid roadside foods.
- Drink boiled and cooled water only.
- Wash vegetables and fruits well in running water before consumption.
- Cook meat and other sea foods well.