Triglyceride is a type of fat in your blood. Increased triglycerides level makes you susceptible for heart disease/heart attack, stroke and atherosclerosis.
Reference Range for Triglycerides
- Normal < 150 mg/dl
- Borderline level- 150- 199 mg/dl
- High level- 200- 499 mg/dl
- Very high > 500 mg/dl
Causes for Increased Triglycerides Level
- Uncontrolled diabetes.
- Liver and kidney diseases.
- Thyroid disorder.
- Unhealthy food habits.
- Sedentary lifestyle.
- Certain medications like Steroids, Contraceptive pills, etc.
Methods to Lower Your Triglycerides Level
- Consume sunflower seeds, flax seeds, and other healthy fats rich in omega 3.
- If you are obese or overweight, lose at least 10% of your body weight.
- Avoid unhealthy fatty foods. Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Do regular physical exercises.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Drink lukewarm water instead of normal water.
- Replace curds with well churned butter milk with lots of curry leaves.
- A tablespoon of gooseberry juice mixed with honey can be taken daily.
- Regular consumption of decoction of coriander seeds help to lower bad cholesterol.Prepare by boiling 2 tablespoon of dry coriander seeds in a glass of water and strain. Drink when it is lukewarm.
- Boil 3-4 cloves of garlic in diluted milk and drink once daily.
- Parsley also helps to keep the arterial system in a healthy condition. Simmer 20 gms of fresh parsley in water (250 ml.) for a couple of minutes and drink this beverage three to four times every day.
- Increase soluble fiber in your diet. Psyllium along with a glass of orange juice can be taken regularly.
- Drink a glass of boiled and cooled water with 1 tsp of honey and lemon juice daily.
- Recommended Natural Supplements are Shudh Guggulu, HrudVed, Lo-Medus and Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
In case, you are looking for a personalized health checklist to help you improve your health, you may opt for an easy-to-do tele-consultation with our Senior Ayurvedic Doctor.
Is your Cholesterol also high ? Tackle that as well, with some more home remedies for Improving Good Cholesterol.
Additional Reading: Reduce Cholesterol and Triglyceride Levels the Ayurvedic Way