Breast milk is the primary and complete nutritious food for infants, which is easily ingestible and digestible by newborn. It is ideal to feed only breast milk to the newborn for first six months.
Common Breastfeeding Issues
Following are the common breastfeeding issues you may face:
- Pain or discomfort.
- Decreased milk production.
- Cracked nipples/sores.
Tips for Proper Breastfeeding
Below are some tips for proper breast feeding:
- Sit in a comfortable position with proper pillow support. Don’t lean forward, instead bring your baby closer.
- When you experience pain, break the feeding by inserting your finger slowly into baby’s mouth at the corner.
- After each feed, gently pat your nipple dry with a clean cloth.
- Avoid harsh soaps to wash your nipples during bathing as it may cause excess dryness and cracks.
- Avoid self medications.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Eat healthy and nutritious food.
- Rest more. You can sleep when your baby sleeps.
- Repeated breast feeding will improve the quantity of milk production. Feed once every two to three hours.
- Empty your breast completely by feeding the baby on both the breasts alternatively.
- Wear proper fitting and supportive bra.
- Apply warm compress or gently massage your breast if you feel pain or engorgement.
Ayurvedic Management of Breastfeeding Issues
- You can apply Shatadhauta gritha to prevent nipple dryness/cracks.
- Intake of Dashamoolarishta helps to prevent mastitis.
- Fenuvit, Shatavari, etc. will enhances milk production.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products to manage breastfeeding issues and enhance milk production, please click the links below: