Jaundice is a condition where you observe yellowish discolouration of your skin, mucous membrane, and sclera of your eyes. It can occur at any age including newborns.
Hepatitis is an inflammatory condition of your liver caused due to Viruses A, B, C, D and E. Nearly 119,000 cases of viral hepatitis was reported in India in 2012. About 290,000 cases were reported in the year 2013 (Source: ncdc.gov.in).
Causes of Jaundice
- Increased bilirubin in your body due to hepatitis, liver cirrhosis, alcoholic liver disease, gallstones.
- Certain diseases like Pancreatitis, Cancer of pancreas or gall bladder, Malaria, Thalassemia, Sickle cell anaemia, Gilbert’s syndrome, etc.
Signs and Symptoms of Jaundice
- Loss of appetite.
- Yellowish discolouration of the skin, mucous membrane, the sclera of your eyes and urine.
- Change in colour of your stool.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Pain abdomen.
- Itchy skin.
Ayurvedic Management of Jaundice
The treatment varies and depends on the cause of jaundice. In general, the following are beneficial.
- Ayurvedic herbs like Katuki, Vasa, Neem, Avipattikar churna, Arogyavardhini vati, Amalaki churna, Trivrt churna, Triphala churna, Punarnavadi mandura and Guduchi are effective.
- Kashayam like Patolakaturohinyadi kashayam, Vasaguluchyadi Kashayam and patolamooladi kashayam are useful.
- You can take Bhumyamalaki churna or fresh bhumyamalaki juice 1 tsp with honey twice a day.
- You can extract the fresh juice of amla or aloe vera. You can take 2 tsp of this juice with ¼ tsp of honey, thrice a day.
Diet plays an important role in jaundice. You need to strictly follow these dietary tips:
- Eat more bitter vegetables like snake gourd, ridge gourd, bitter gourd, bottle gourd, Ash gourd, etc.
- Avoid spicy, deep fried fatty foods.
- Avoid curds and drink well churned freshly prepared butter milk.
- Include pomegranate, raisins, sugar cane juice and barley water in your diet.
- Consume only homemade food and avoid street foods.
- Drink boiled and cooled water.
- Avoid non-vegetarian foods, pickles, coffee/tea, milk products, smoking, alcohol and tobacco consumption.
- Use minimum oil in cooking.
- Take complete rest and avoid stressful activities.
- Wash your hands well before eating your food.
According to Ayurveda, jaundice is caused due to vitiation of pitta dosha. Hence, avoid all pitta aggravating factors.
If you are suffering from hepatitis, you may spread to others. Be vigilant to listen and follow the instructions told by your physician.