A leg cramp is a painful condition caused due to the sudden contraction of your calf muscle.
Common Causes of Leg Cramps
- Overstrain of the muscle due to physical exercise or work.
- Doing strenuous exercise without prior warming up.
- Deficiency of minerals like potassium, calcium or magnesium.
- Lack of blood supply.
- Certain conditions like dehydration, lumbar stenosis, pregnancy, diabetes, thyroid issues, diarrhea, kidney problems, can make you more prone to cramps.
- Medications treating blood pressure, cholesterol, steroids, diuretics, oral contraceptives, etc.
Symptoms of Leg Cramps
- Pain and discomfort, which last for few seconds to minutes.
- Hardness and soreness of the affected muscle.
Management of Leg Cramps
- Stop the activity you are doing and try to hold the affected area tightly.
- If possible do mild massage and stretch the muscle.
- Give hot compress with a towel dipped in hot water or soak the affected part in a hot water tub.
- Make sure you are hydrated well before starting exercise.
- Avoid consumption of caffeinated/ aerated drinks which may dehydrate you. Instead, drink a glass of warm milk.
- Consume potassium-rich foods like banana, green leafy vegetables, avocado, mushroom, etc.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Leg Cramps
- You can massage the affected muscle with warm sesame oil or mahanarayana taila.
- Internally, you can take yogaraja guggulu, Dashamoola churna,
- If you have calcium deficiency,you can take supplements like kukkutandatvak bhasma, Pravala pishti.
- Avoid constipation by taking Triphala, Avipattikar churna, Haritaki churna.