Brittle nails cause flaking, cracking or splitting of your nails. It is commonly seen in women than men.
Causes of Brittle Nails
- Decreased intake of protein.
- Vitamin and iron deficiency.
- Chemical exposure during washing vessels, cloth and prolonged use of nail polish and remover.
- Seasonal variation and dehydration.
- Certain conditions like anaemia, hypothyroidism, Menopause, liver disease.
- Skin diseases or Infection or trauma to your nails.
Prevention of Brittle Nails
- Massage your nails regularly with sesame oil or olive oil or almond oil.
- Eat healthy nutritious food like green leafy vegetables, milk, egg and nuts.
- If you have weak digestion power, you can take Hingvastaka churna, Trikatu churna, Agnitundi vati, etc. to improve your digestion.
- Drink sufficient amount of water.
- If you have iron and calcium deficiency, you can take supplements like Xerfer capsules, Dhatri loha, Pravala bhasma, Kukkutanda twak bhasma, AZ- cal.
- You can wear gloves while doing household work to protect your nails from chemical exposure.
- Avoid using metal instruments to push your cuticles.
- Avoid biting nails.
- Don’t use nail polish and remover regularly.