Vitiligo is a skin disorder occurring due to abnormality in the pigmentation of skin. There will be a loss of skin colour in patches and may affect the skin of any part of your body. It can also affect hair, eyes and inside of the mouth.
Causes of Vitiligo
- Vitiligo is caused due to death of melanocytes (melanin producing cells).
- Abnormal immune system.
- Exposure to certain chemicals.
- Stress also precipitates the spread of vitiligo.
Symptoms of Vitiligo
- Whitish discolouration of skin in patches.
- Premature greying of hair, eyelashes and eyebrows.
- Change of colour in your mucous membrane like inside mouth and nose.
- Sun burns on the affected area.
- Social distress.
Following are the common therapies available for management of Vitiligo
- Topical application of creams.
- Phototherapy or light therapy.
- Laser therapy.
- Skin grafting.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Vitiligo
Ayurvedic texts explains that, due to intake of incompatible food items, suppression of vomiting, intake of sour-salty and fermented food items, and indulging in sinful activities, the body doshas (vata, pitta, kapha) get aggravated, mainly the pitta dosha, causing imbalance in rasa, rakta, mamsa and other dhatus.
The different principles adopted for ayurvedic treatment:
- Correcting digestion.
- Eliminating aama (toxins).
- Strengthening immune system.
- Creating dosha-balance.
The following measures will check the spread of Vitiligo:
- Increase intake of bitter vegetables.
- Avoid sour or tangy fruit, non-vegetarian food, curd, fermented food, urad dal.
- Manage stress by yoga and meditation.
- Socialise with family and friends to overcome the distress.
- Khadira, bakuchi, bhallataka, mulaka, daruharidra, aragvadha, haritaki are some of the single drugs recommended in the treatment of vitiligo.
Traditional Ayurvedic formulations, which are recommended for Vitiligo:
- Bakuchi taila, somaraji taila, tuvaraka taila, avalgujadi lepa
- Arogyavardhini vati, Gandhaka rasayana and khadirarishta
- Bhringraj churna
- Pigmento ointment for local application, exposure to morning sunlight, after application of the ointment is also beneficial
- Pigmento tablet
- Bakuchi capsule
Along with internal medicines Panchakarma therapies like Virechana, Raktamokshana (Leech therapy) are also effective.