Immunity is a defensive mechanism of your body against disease-causing microorganisms and toxins.
Immunodeficiency is a condition where your child has weak immunity power allowing infections or other health issues to occur very easily.
Causes of Immunodeficiency
- Immunodeficiency can be inherited genetically.
- Idiopathic (unknown).
- Unhealthy lifestyle.
- Poor nutritional status.
- Stress and strain.
Symptoms of Weak Immunity
- Falling sick more often.
- Repeated attacks of cold, cough, sinusitis, etc.
- Skin rashes or skin diseases.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Loss of appetite.
- Poor growth and development.
- Low haemoglobin and other blood components.
Dos and Don’ts
- If your children has severe infection, they may require a course of medications to control.
- Give them healthy food like whole grains, nuts, milk, fresh fruits, vegetables and green leaves.
- Avoid junk, preserved, frozen, roadside and artificially flavoured foods.
- Encourage them to be physically active. Involve them in some sports activity.
- Teach them good hygienic practices like washing hands thoroughly before meals, brushing teeth twice daily, etc
- Keep your house tidy. Better to avoid using carpets, which accumulates more dust.
- Maintain their sleep pattern. Make them to sleep and get up at the same time daily.
- Avoid smoking and if you have to smoke, don’t do it in when your children are in the vicinity.
- Keep an eye when they play outside and while handling pets.
- Avoid getting them exposed to pollution.
- Don’t burden them with studies. Stress will hamper your child’s immune power.
Ayurvedic Supplements to Improve Your Child’s Immunity and Growth
- Swarna bindu prashana – Administration of purified gold in the form of drops. It is given in most of the Ayurvedic clinics.
- Supplements like Chyavanprash, Amalaki rasayana, Kushmanda rasayana, Haridra Khanda,etc given with milk.
- Powders like Amalaki, Ashwagandha, Yashtimadhu can be given with honey and ghee.
- To improve bone health Bonton granules can be given with milk.
- Do regular body massage with appropriate oils ( Ksheerabala taila, Balaswagandhadi taila, etc) according to your child’s body type.
- Make sure to include turmeric, ginger, cumin, garlic and pepper in their diet.
You can boost your child’s immunity at birth itself by proper breastfeeding.