Memory loss or decreasing memory power is one of the symptoms of various psychological conditions. Forgetfulness, like forgetting where you placed your keys, etc., is common among each and everyone of us. It is not the sign of a disease. If memory loss is to such an extent where you are unable to do your day to day activities, then it is a matter of concern.
Common Causes of Memory Loss
- Dementia, Alzheimer’s, depression, anxiety, brain tumours, thyroid disorder, and stress.
- Lack of sleep.
- Alcohol and drug abuse.
- Certain medications like sleeping pills, anti-depressants, sugar level and cholesterol reducing medicines.
Ayurvedic Management of Memory Loss
- Ayurvedic herbs like Ashwagandha, Brahmi, Shankhapushpi, Vacha, Bhringaraja, Mandukaparni, brahmi gritha, Brahmi rasayana are beneficial
- Include ghee, almonds and milk in your diet.
- Boil ½ tsp of Brahmi powder in a glass of milk and drink daily at bedtime.
- Do regular body and head massage.
- You can undergo Ayurvedic treatment procedures like Abhyanga, Nasya, shirodhara, Shirobasti and pichu.
- Avoid using sleeping pills and use herbs like Ashwagandha and Jatamansi
- Manage your stress and anxiety by practising yoga, pranayama, and meditation.
- Go for a regular walk to enhance your circulation.
- To cope with your condition, you can make a habit of writing down the important things and go through the list again and again.
- Give your brain some exercise by reading, playing games, etc.