Alcohol addiction is a psychosomatic disorder. The intensity of addiction, frequency of alcohol intake, type of alcohol consumption varies for each individual. Few may drink through the day while others may drink only at a certain time. You are said to be alcohol dependent or addicted to alcohol when you consume an excess of alcohol for a prolonged duration, which affects your health and you are unable to stop due to severe withdrawal symptoms.
Signs and symptoms of alcohol addiction are:
- Unable to control the quantity of alcohol consumption.
- Unable to complete day to day activities. Failing to accomplish work, family and social responsibilities.
- Trying to cut down alcohol consumption but you are not able to succeed.
- Drinking alcohol in unsafe conditions like driving, etc.
- Wanting to consume more and more alcohol to achieve desired effect.
- You may experience withdrawal symptoms when you don't drink alcohol.
Alcohol withdrawal symptoms includes:
- Nausea, giddiness, sweating and shivering. You will feel these symptoms subside on consumption of alcohol.
- Increased heart beat.
- Sleep disturbance, difficulty in falling asleep.
- Mental disturbance like hallucination, anxiety, unexplained tension.
The following home remedies would be beneficial:
- Drink 2 glasses of apple juice everyday to reduce the craving.
- Take 500 g of carom seeds, add them to 8 litres of water. Boil the mixture till only 2 litres of water is left. Filter the mixture. Drink 3-4 tbsp whenever you get a craving for alcohol.
- Keep reducing your alcohol intake day by day. Reduce 10% alcohol consumption every week. This will help you in abandoning alcohol from your life without any withdrawal symptoms.
- Try attending alcohol de-addiction counselling sessions.
- Grapes are rich in antioxidants. They to revitalise the cells in the body and restore your body's normal metabolism. You can drink grape juice anytime when you feel a craving for alcohol.
- You can take drakshadi kashayam to overcome the ill effects of alcoholism.
- Yoga practice and meditation can also reduce alcohol cravings.