I am sure you will be very happy to read this because there are hardly a few who have not eaten a pizza. But there aren’t many who have heard of the curative powers of the little dry seasonings that come along.
Oregano is often and only heard along with Pizza, a not-so-favourite among health experts. But Oregano seasonings that come along with the pizzas are great health boosters. A warm aromatic plant from the mint family, oregano is sadly known for its fragrance, flavour and culinary properties more than its health benefits. It contains carvacrol, thymol, limonene, pinene, ocimene, and caryophyllene giving it a list of medicinal properties. Oregano is, thus, a great antiseptic, antispasmodic, carminative, cholagogue, diaphoretic, emmenagogue, expectorant, stimulant, stomachic and mildly tonic. Oregano (Origanum vulgare, Ajwain in Hindi) oil soothes cold, treat mild fever and help influenza.
- It has antioxidant properties with high phenolic acid level and flavonoids to deter the advancement of degenerative diseases.
- Thanks to the researchers of Bonn University and the ETH Zurich who discovered a substance called beta-caryophyllin (E-BCP) in Oregano. They point out that E-BCP can be effective in inhibiting inflammations and in treating conditions like Osteoporosis.
- The antiseptic properties of the oregano leaves and flowers make them a herbal cure to respiratory troubles. For asthmatic people, oregano oil can provide relief when rubbed on chest. It will clear the respiratory passage and smooth the flow of air. They can also inhale the vapours of oregano from the bottle like Vicks. People with sinus may also benefit from the steam inhalation of this herb.
- You can take Oregano tea for stomach ailments like gas and flatulence.
- It can cure mild fungal infections, treat wounds and ear infections and lessen menstrual pain as well.
- A strong sedative, oregano can induce peaceful sleep. For that very reason, you should not use the herb in large doses.
- Rub a few drops of Oregano oil on your scalp before bath for dandruff and itchiness. It also helps to get rid of lice.
- Use oregano oil for tooth ache, gum problems and for bad breath. Gargle a few drops of oregano oil with water or rub it on your teeth and gums after eating for best results.
- A good source of fibre, it can check weight gain and increase the breakdown of cholesterol.
- Like tea tree oil, oregano oil extracts are also a great way to treat your acne naturally.
So, next time you order a pizza (ignoring its high salt and fat content) at least remember to use the available oregano seasonings.
-Aparna K V