What is Brahmi?
Brahmi is an Ayurveda medicine to improve concentration, enhance cognitive ability, alertness, and to promote relaxation & sleep. Brahmi can be taken internally as a supplement and Brahmi oil can be applied on the crown of the head to enhance sleep. Brahmi is a nerve tonic that can increase concentration and learning capacity. It can reduce irritability and restlessness in both children and adults.
What are the uses of Brahmi?
Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri), is called the Herb of Grace and used in traditional Indian medicine for centuries to treat bronchitis, chronic cough, asthma, hoarseness, arthritis, rheumatism, backache, fluid retention, chronic skin conditions, constipation, hair loss, fevers, digestive problems, depression, mental and physical fatigue and many more. It also has an effective use as a blood cleanser.
What is the significance of Brahmi in Ayurveda?
Ayurveda recommends the use of Brahmi for memory problems and poor concentration. Brahmi specifically enhances the quality of Sadhaka Pitta which directly influences the nature of consciousness. It has been seen that by chewing a few leaves of Brahmi on an empty stomach the memory retention capacity of the brain can improve. In some places in India, Brahmi leaves are ground into chutney and used regularly.
What are the recommended Lifestyle Changes while taking Brahmi?
- Eat and sleep well. Consume Omega 3 fatty acid [tuna, salmons, sardines] that improves brain power. Vegetarian sources of omega 3 include walnuts, ground flax seeds, and soya beans.
- Limit calories and saturated fats.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables like spinach, broccoli, apples, mangoes, and watermelons.
- Exercise regularly - when you exercise the body, you exercise the brain
- Memory is linked to the health of the body, soul, mind, emotions, and sentiments. The quality of interpersonal relationships influences the quality of memory.
- Practice relaxation techniques
- Play brain boosters to increase concentration and reduce forgetfulness- Sudoku puzzles, crosswords, etc.
- Do things in a different way to activate brain cells. For instance: If you are a right-hander, comb your hair with your left with closed eyes, stir food with your left hand, etc.
- Learn something new - a new hobby, language, musical instrument or dance
- Reduce the use of technology to reduce distraction
- Try the Pomodoro technique
How does Bacopa/Brahmi work?
Brahmi might increase certain brain chemicals that are involved in thinking, learning, and memory. Some research suggests that it might also protect brain cells from chemicals involved in Alzheimer's disease. It treats:
Anxiety - Taking Bacopa syrup daily for 4 weeks reduces symptoms of anxiety, including nervousness, racing heart, trouble sleeping, headaches, tiredness, difficulty concentrating, and stomach discomfort in some people with anxiety.
Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) - Taking Bacopa for 6 months can improve ADHD symptoms such as restlessness and learning problems by 20% or more in some children with ADHD.
Improves memory - Research shows that taking Bacopa improves memory in otherwise healthy older adults. Also, taking Bacopa extract seems to improve memory and hand-eye coordination in children from the age of 6-8 years.
Epilepsy (seizures) - Taking Bacopa extract for 5 months might prevent seizures in some people with epilepsy.
What does Brahmi taste like?
Brahmi has a bitter and sweet taste and is known to impart a cooling energy.