Tea Tree Oil is a miracle gift from nature!
Tea tree essential oil is extracted by distillation of Melaleuca alternifolia’s leaves by steam. Melaleuca alternifolia was originally found in Australia. In ancient times the leaves of the plant were used as tea and that is how it got its name.
Tea tree has been used from ancient times because of its medicinal properties. Australian aboriginals used the leaves of tea tree to cure skin infections, burns as well as cuts by making a paste of the leaves and applying the paste on the affected part. Tea tree oil is rich in terpenoids compounds which are antifungal as well as antiseptic in nature.
Tea tree oil is used to cure several conditions such as ache, dandruff, thrush, boils, eczema, yeast infection, athlete’s foot, vaginitis, gum problems, lice and psoriasis.
Tea tree oil’s effect in curing several ailments based on clinical studies:
1. Athelete’s Foot: A clinical trial on the efficacy of tea tree oil in the treatment of athlete’s foot was conducted with 158 participants. The first group was administered 25% tea tree oil while the other group was given 50% tea tree oil twice daily. 64% of participants in the second group were completely cured.
2. Toenail Fungal Infection: The Journal of Family Practice released the outcome of a randomized controlled trial study and research of tea tree oil for curing nail fungus infection. This controlled study focused on every day application of hundred percent tea tree oil two times versus 1% clotrimazole solution (a famous topical fungicide medication) in 177 people suffering from toe nail fungus infections. The study was carried on for six months. In the end it was concluded that tea tree oil is as effective as the topical antifungal. The end result was established on controlled clinical testing for fungus infection in the toenail. Pointless to say, the study was exceedingly positive for the application of tea tree oil in curing toenail fungus infection.
Another random controlled trial conducted to examine the effectiveness of a medicinal cream having 5 percent tea tree oil and two percent butenafine hydrochloride in sixty patients suffering from toenail fungal infection. After only sixteen weeks forty two people using the cream showed great improvement as compared to the ones in the placebo group. Few people complained of slight inflammation.
How to use or apply tea tree oil:
1. Mix few drops of tea tree oil with a carrier oil and dab using a cotton ball on the effected area. It helps kill the infection and cure the skin ailment.
2. To cure scalp problems use few drops of tea tree oil mixed in little carrier oil and apply on the scalp at night. Wash the hair in the morning. The strong smell of tea tree oil may cause the hair styling products to react so do not use them together.
3. Use a mouthwash that has tea tree oil as an active ingredient to cure gum problems. Do not swallow it.
4. Dab diluted tea tree oil on acne at night and wash with a face wash in the morning.
Tea tree oil is a very common herb and is easily available in general stores as well as online.