Fluid or water retention is a health condition when the body retains unnecessary amount of water. This condition is also known as edema. Due to this condition water collects in different parts of the body like ankles, feet, legs and hands. The excess fluid may cause the face to swell up as well. Sudden weight gain and swelling is a symptom of water retention.
The cause of water retention:
Most often, water retention can be cured by lifestyle changes and natural cures. Simple changes in the lifestyle combined with a good healthy diet can cure water retention. The following tips will help you reduce water retention in matter of few days.
If you make the following changes in your lifestyle you will definitely get relief from water retention.
1. Salt: People facing water retention have to reduce the salt intake; this is the most natural cure which works every time. Moreover, excess intake of salt can increase water retention in the body, having more than required sodium in the diet causes water retention in the kidneys.
2. Foods high in sodium: reduce or avoid the intake of following foods in your diet for the time being … olives, canned soups, salted wafers, junk food, bacon, salted butter and soy sauce.
Most of the processed foods and junk foods are high in sodium. Having foods that are low in salt content is the easiest way to reduce fluid retention in the body. to reduce the excess water that has collected in the body you must have foods that are high in potassium.
3. Foods rich in potassium: banana and cabbage have high potassium in them and must be consumed in higher quantity to reduce water retention.
4. Vegetables and fruits that are rich in Vitamin A and C are also helpful in reducing excess fluids from the kidneys.
5. Herbal teas and juice : For women another way to reduce water buildup is by having other herbal tea before the start of your menstrual cycle. The most beneficial teas for this purpose are parsley and uva ursi tea. You can easily purchase these herbal teas from a good herbal store or an online herbal products provider. Drinks like green tea, lemon juice and cranberry juice when taken in moderate quantities on everyday basis can help avoid water retention.
6. Water intake: do not reduce your water intake to cure water retention. You must have seven to eight glasses of water for proper removal of excess salt and water from the kidneys. You can also add a dash of lemon juice to water as it helps in the removal of excess water from the body. do not have any aerated drinks as they have high salt content in them. Coffee, tea and alcohol dehydrate the body and lower the ability of the kidneys to flush out excess water and salt, hence you must avoid having them.
7. Fiber: foods that have more fiber in them promote the removal of salt and toxins from the body. Vegetables and fruits are rich in fiber and must be consumed throughout the day for faster removal of fluids from the body. Have more cereal, multi grain foods and oatmeal as it is rich in fiber as well.
8. Physical activities: running, jogging, biking, walking and even aerobics help reduce water retention as it helps by flushing out salt from the body through sweat.