Even though bone cancer is not a common type of cancer, there are different types of bone cancer, which affect both adults and children: osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Ewing's tumor, fibrosarcoma, giant cell tumour of bone and chordoma.
Risk Factors of Bone Cancer
The exact cause of bone cancer is not clear yet. Following are considered as risk factors:
- Certain inherited genetic diseases like retinoblastoma.
- Paget’s disease.
- Exposure to radiation during treatment of other types of cancer.
- Injuries in the past.
- Exposure to pesticides during pregnancy.
Symptoms of Bone Cancer
The signs and symptoms may vary according to the bone affected. Following are a few symptoms:
- Bone pain.
- Unusual weight loss.
- Swelling and stiffness of the affected area.
- Weakens the bone, which makes you vulnerable to fractures even with a minor injury.
Management of Bone Cancer
Management includes surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.
Few Ayurvedic medicines like Amalaki, Ashwagandha, Triphala, Guduchi, Maharishi amrit kalash, Chyawanprash and Amalaki rasayana, etc., yoga, meditation and pranayama will definitely act as a supportive care for those who have undergone chemo or radiation therapy.